"It Will Need to Be the Most Amazing Thing Humankind Has Ever Done"
- Bill Gates on overcoming climate change
Since we started our business in 2002, we’ve all witnessed an alarming increase in hurricanes, droughts, wildfires and other global warming impacts. Virtually every industry contributes to climate change – marketing and advertising are no exception. This accelerating trend got us thinking, and our thinking turned into action.
How BKM Marketing has adapted our business practices to become Net Zero Now.
- Continuous learning through research. We engaged nine teams of MBA students to help measure the carbon impact of direct and digital marketing from forest to mailbox and from datacenter to screen. The students determined that client programs emitted at least 2,000 metric tons of CO2 in 2020 – the equivalent of burning 2.3 million pounds of coal.
- Adding sustainability considerations to your strategies. The tighter we target messaging, the fewer mail pieces we create and fewer digital ads we render.
- Rethinking production processes. We’re evaluating our existing production partners’ sustainability practices and identifying best-in-class partners who share our clean marketing commitment.
- Using offsets to become carbon neutral. Starting this year, BKM Marketing will offset 100% of CO2 emissions created by our own business activity and client marketing campaigns.
Launching netzeronow.marketing. Marketers can combat global warming in simple yet influential ways, and we can do it as a community. We are planting the seeds for information sharing now.
BKM'S NET ZERO NOW PROGRAM
- We help clients develop effective marketing programs with lower climate impact.
- We operate our firm at or below net-zero CO2 emissions via climate-friendly behavior and carbon offsets.
- We neutralize the carbon impact of client digital and print marketing programs we manage through forest replenishment and other offsets - at our own expense.